Americana Music Festival
Join us for the first of three weekend music festivals at Brenton Skating Plaza! The Americana Music Festival is presented by Meredith Corporation is first up and will feature the Jayhawks on June 20, John Hiatt on June 21, and Jason Isbell on June 22. Tickets for these concerts are on sale now and can be purchased for each day or at a discounted rate for a 3-day festival pass. Additional lineup announcements will be made in the weeks to come.
Friday - June 20th, 2014
6 PM - gates open to public
7 PM - Bo Ramsey & Highway 12
8 PM - The Honeydogs
9 PM - The Jayhawks
Saturday - June 21st, 2014
1 PM - gates open to public
2 PM - Josh Davis
3 PM - Randy Burk & The Prisoners
4:30 PM - Brother Trucker
6 PM - The Pines
7 PM - Nicholas David
9 PM - John Hiatt
Sunday - June 22nd, 2014
3 PM - gates open to public
4 PM - James Biehn Band
5:30 PM - Cory Chisel
6:30 PM - Jason Isbell
Music Under the Canopy is a series of weekend summer festivals at Brenton Skating Plaza in Downtown Des Moines. The series will be the first set of concerts taking place under a one-of-a-kind canopy, installed at Brenton Skating Plaza (520 Robert D. Ray Dr.) in May of 2014.
Music Under the Canopy is produced by the Downtown Community Alliance.
Brenton Skating Plaza, 520 Robert D. Ray Drive, Des Moines, IA 50309
Bo Ramsey & The Highway 12:
Bo Ramsey was born and raised in Burlington Iowa, Ramsey played a vital role in shaping Eastern Iowa's distinctive blues-rock hybrid. He has been inducted into the Iowa Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and the Iowa Blues Hall of Fame. His band, Highway 12 is an up-and-coming Canadian country music band with a charismatic stage presence.
The Honeydogs have been making records for over 20 years. The Twin Cities-based band has always defied categorization and continues to push into new musical territory while remaining connected to earlier American music. Singer-songwriter Adam Levy has frequently been called one of the best songwriters of the era.
Emerged from the Minneapolis music scene in the1980s, The Jayhawks have a rootsy sound that isn't quite rock or country. The Jayhawks have made music in 4 different decades and are as vital now as they were in 1985.
Josh Davis is a songwriter and singer, born in Boone, IA. What began with solo acoustic performances for friends, evolved over the years through different influences, styles, and bands that played stages both small and large.
Randy Burk & The Prisoners:
This energetic band was formed in 2002 in Atlantic, Iowa. They have since expanded musically and geographically.
Originating from Iowa, this native roots rock band is considered to have the "Iowa sound." They have toured the Midwest extensively since 2000.
Founded by Iowa natives David Huckfelt and Benson Ramsey, indie-roots band The Pines surprisingly met in Arizona, where they both lived in a Mexican barrio and first began playing together. The Pines weave together many musical styles to create their own unique sound that is hip and haunting.
Nicholas David Mrozinski is a vibrant, dynamic and multi-talented singer/songwriter from Saint Paul, Minnesota. For more than a decade, Nicholas has composed alternative soul music that connects with people worldwide on a deeply human level.
John Hiatt And The Combo:
John is an American rock guitarist, pianist, singer, and songwriter born in Indianapolis, Indiana. He has converted his personal tragedies into a life-long catalogue of recordings.
James Biehn Band:
James Biehn is a guitarist/vocalist from Des Moines, Iowa. The James Biehns Band was formed in 2012.
Cory grew up in Minnesota and Wisconsin as a preacher's son. He was sheltered from pop music until his musician uncle taught him the blues. From then on he has thought of songwriting as a by-product of existing.
Jason is a singer, songwriter, and guitarist from Green Hill, Alabama. He is a former member of the Drive-By Truckers, but is best known for his solo career.
Where Can I Park?
- All Street meters are free evenings and weekends.
- 3rd & Grand Ave. Parking Ramp
Can I Volunteer To Work At Music Under The Canopy?
- Absolutely! Click here
What If It Rains?
- The Show will go on rain or shine, and we have the benefit of the Canopy at Brenton Skating Plaza.
Can I Bring In My Own Chair?
- Upright folding or camping chairs will be permitted for the Americana Music Festival in specific designated areas only.
- No lounge/chaise/sunbathing chairs or blankets/towels.
Will The General Admission Have Any Chair Seating At All?
- There will be some picnic tables and benches outside of the rink area.
- Upright folding and camping chairs will be allowed in specific designated areas inside the venue.
- VIP Tickets include a separate gathering area with some premium seating.
Will There Be Food For Sale?
- Yes, Coca-Cola products, beer, and wine will be available for purchase, in addition to selections from the following food vendors:
- Jose's Tacos
- Mediterranean Grill
- Magnolia Kitchen & Grocery
Can I Bring My Dog?
- No, no pets allowed on site during the event.
Will There Be Any Handicapped Parking Available?
- Yes, there is a handicapped spot on Robert D. Ray Drive near the ramp entrance to the rink. There are other handicapped parking spots available on the street and in the City Hall Lot.
Where Can I Buy Tickets?
Can I Buy A Weekend Pass?
- Yes, weekend Passes and Weekend VIP Passes are available at MIDWESTIX
Where is VIP Parking?
- VIP Parking is in the CIty Hall Parking lot, on the southeast corner of Grand Ave. and Robert D. Ray Drive.
- A parking attendant will punch your VIP ticket when you enter to park.
Can I Rent The Canopy Venue For My Own Event?
- Yes, please Click here.
Reporters may contact Jessica Barlow at 515-286-4907.
For inquiries about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Sara Gaskell.
For all other inquiries, please contact Beth Johnson.
Want To Get Updates About Music Under The Canopy And Other Downtown Events?
for the Downtown Des Moines e-newsletter!
Want to give back to your community? Click here to volunteer to work at this event or contact Maggie with any questions.
Music Under The Canopy Series Sponsors
Preferred Hotel Partner
Downtown Events Group Corporate Partners